11.03 六人行不再完整:《老友记》钱德勒扮演者去世

原文朗读

美音:

英音:

Matthew Perry, Star of ‘Friends,’ Is Dead at 54

Matthew Perry, who gained sitcom superstardom as Chandler Bing on the show “Friends,” becoming a model of the ability to tease your pals as an expression of love, has died. He was 54.

Several news outlets reported that Mr. Perry was found unresponsive in a hot tub at his home in Los Angeles.

“Friends” ran for 10 seasons from 1994 to 2004. Other “Friends” characters generated humor through their goofiness or haplessness; Chandler cracked jokes. That speech pattern — the sarcastic rhetorical question asked in a tone of mock disbelief — was typical of Chandler.

Mr. Perry himself brought this bit to the show, and it became a familiar way for Americans to talk — proof of the status of “Friends” as one of the most popular shows in sitcom history.

Mr. Perry, like his co-stars, eventually earned $1 million per episode. He was rich, famous and handsome. But behind the scenes of “Friends,” his substance abuse was already an issue.

In a single interview, he spoke again and again about the idea that his confessional stories might help fellow addicts. “Whenever I bumped into something that I didn’t really want to share,” he said, “I would think of the people that I would be helping, and it would keep me going.”

讲解:

六人行不再完整:《老友记》钱德勒扮演者去世

课程导读

当地时间10月28日下午,美国知名演员马修·派瑞在家中去世,死因疑为溺亡。马修演过的最著名角色,无疑是《老友记》中的钱德勒·宾。钱德勒幽默、体贴,常以出其不意的冷笑话逗乐大家,而他的笑声和幽默常常只是为了掩盖孤独。现实中的马修和钱德勒有不少相似之处,他在去年出版的个人传记中,对自己常年的孤独和药物成瘾问题进行了坦诚倾诉。马修在钱德勒身上打上了哪些个人印记?他为什么能坦诚分享自己的药物成瘾经历?一起来听今天的讲解。

《老友记》主演马修·派瑞去世,终年54岁

By Alex Traub and Matt Stevens

Matthew Perry, who gained sitcom superstardom as Chandler Bing on the show “Friends,” becoming a model of the ability to tease your pals as an expression of love, has died. He was 54.

因在《老友记》中饰演钱德勒·宾(Chandler Bing)一角而成为情景喜剧界顶级巨星的马修·派瑞(Matthew Perry)离世,终年54岁。他那通过调侃朋友来表达爱意的能力,已成为典范。

Several news outlets reported that Mr. Perry was found unresponsive in a hot tub at his home in Los Angeles.

几家新闻媒体报道称,派瑞被发现时身处洛杉矶家中的热水浴缸里,已没有反应。

“Friends” ran for 10 seasons from 1994 to 2004. Other “Friends” characters generated humor through their goofiness or haplessness; Chandler cracked jokes. That speech pattern — the sarcastic rhetorical question asked in a tone of mock disbelief — was typical of Chandler.

《老友记》从1994年到2004年共播出了10季。剧中的其他角色都是通过蠢笨或倒霉产生了幽默的效果;而钱德勒则是通过讲笑话。那种以假装怀疑的语气进行挖苦式反问的话语方式,是钱德勒的典型特征。

Mr. Perry himself brought this bit to the show, and it became a familiar way for Americans to talk — proof of the status of “Friends” as one of the most popular shows in sitcom history.

这个特征是派瑞带到剧集中的,最终也成了美国人熟悉的说话方式——这证明了《老友记》作为情景喜剧历史上最受欢迎剧集之一的地位。

Mr. Perry, like his co-stars, eventually earned $1 million per episode. He was rich, famous and handsome. But behind the scenes of “Friends,” his substance abuse was already an issue.

和他的搭档演员一样,派瑞最终也获得了每集100万美元的片酬。他富有、出名且英俊。但在《老友记》的幕后,他的药物滥用早已成为问题。

In a single interview, he spoke again and again about the idea that his confessional stories might help fellow addicts. “Whenever I bumped into something that I didn’t really want to share,” he said, “I would think of the people that I would be helping, and it would keep me going.”

在一次单人采访中,他一次又一次地谈到,自曝不光彩的人生经历可能可以帮助到其他成瘾者。“每当我碰到一些我不想分享的事情时,”他说,“我就会想想那些我可能会帮到的人们,这会让我继续分享下去。”

【内容拓展】

Matthew Perry 所著自传:Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing

生词好句

1.superstardom

英 [ˈsuːpəstɑːdəm] 美 ['sjuːpərstɑːrdəm]

n. 巨星地位

拓展:

superstar n. 巨星,超级明星

earl n. 伯爵

earldom n. 伯爵爵位

2.tease

英 [tiːz] 美 [tiːz]

v. 取笑,嘲弄,揶揄

3.news outlet

新闻媒体(如报纸、电视台、广播台、新闻网站)

4.generate

英 [ˈdʒenəreɪt] 美 [ˈdʒenəreɪt]

v. 营造,创造

拓展:

generate profits 创造利润

generate ideas 生成新点子

5.goofiness

英 [ˈguːfinəs] 美 [ˈguːfinəs]

n. 傻气,蠢笨

6.haplessness

英 [hæplisnis] 美 [hæplisnis]

n. 倒霉的经历(unlucky experience)

拓展:

hap n. 运气

hapless adj. 缺乏运气的,倒霉的

7.crack jokes

讲笑话

拓展:

He always knows how to crack jokes to lighten the mood.

他总是知道如何讲笑话来缓和气氛。

You crack me up.

你把我逗笑了。

Please do not crack a joke of your happiness.

请不要拿自己的幸福开玩笑。

8.rhetorical question

反问句

9.substance abuse

(药物、酒精或其他有害的)物质滥用

10.confessional

英 [kənˈfeʃənəl] 美 [kənˈfeʃənəl]

adj. 自白的;忏悔的

拓展:

I have a confession to make.

我要坦白。

11.fellow

英 [ˈfeləʊ] 美 [ˈfeloʊ]

adj. 同事的,同伴的,同情况的

拓展:

my fellow students 我的同学们

his fellow countrymen 他的同胞们

12.bump into

偶然、意外碰上

外刊原文

By Alex Traub and Matt Stevens

Oct. 29, 2023

The death was confirmed by Capt. Scot Williams of the Los Angeles Police Department’s robbery-homicide division. He said the cause was not likely to be determined for some time, but there was no indication of foul play.

Several news outlets reported, without a named source, that Mr. Perry was found unresponsive in a hot tub at his home in Los Angeles. He had publicly struggled with drinking and drug use for decades, leading to hospitalizations for a range of ailments. By his own account, he had spent more than half his life in treatment and rehab facilities.

“Friends” ran for 10 seasons from 1994 to 2004. It chronicled the never-too-dramatic dramas and in-jokes and exploits of a group of six young friends living in New York City. Chandler was the yuppie of the group, with a well-paying white-collar job his friends did not entirely understand. He wore sweater vests but also moodily smoked cigarettes.

Other “Friends” characters generated humor through their goofiness or haplessness; Chandler cracked jokes. He was often inspired by the airheadedness of his roommate and best friend, Joey Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc), a struggling actor, and by the blunders of another buddy, Ross Geller (David Schwimmer), a paleontologist more competent in science than everyday life.

During one episode, for example, Ross joined the group looking bizarrely tan and said he had gone to a tanning place one of them had suggested. “Was that place the sun?” Chandler asked.

That speech pattern — the sarcastic rhetorical question asked in a tone of mock disbelief — was typical of Chandler. He was known on the show for wondering things like “Could she be more out of my league?”

For a while Chandler was in a secret romance with another core member of the “Friends” group, Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), a chef. Ultimately, the two of them achieve happily stable monogamy, marry and move to the suburbs. (In the spirit of the show, distilled into its theme song, “I’ll Be There for You,” Chandler’s new home has a “Joey room” for his old roommate.) Their steps toward adulthood helped bring an end to the group’s post-adolescent idyll and, with that, the story of “Friends” itself.

In his 2022 memoir, “Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing,” Mr. Perry recalled Jennifer Aniston (who starred in the show as Rachel Green) coming to his trailer one day and saying, “in a kind of weird but loving way,” that it was clear he had been drinking too much. “We can smell it,” she added.

“The plural ‘we,’” he wrote about that moment, “hits me like a sledgehammer.”

The whole cast confronted him at one point in his dressing room.

A Jet Ski accident in 1997 helped set in motion Mr. Perry’s addiction to pain killers. A year and a half later, he was taking 55 pills a day. He checked into a rehab facility weighing 128 pounds. “Of course, ‘Matthew Perry is in rehab’ became a huge news story,” he wrote.

In the years to come, his addiction would lead to a “medical odyssey,” The New York Times wrote in a profile last year, including an exploded colon, a stint on life support, two weeks in a coma, nine months with a colostomy bag and more than a dozen stomach surgeries, among other travails.

Lisa Kudrow, who played Phoebe Buffay on “Friends,” wrote in her foreword to Mr. Perry’s memoir that the single question she was asked most about “Friends” was “How’s Matthew Perry doing?”

Matthew Langford Perry was born on Aug. 19, 1969, in Williamstown, Mass. His mother, Suzanne (Langford) Perry, worked as a press secretary for the Canadian prime minister Pierre Trudeau. His father, John Bennett Perry, was a character actor.

His parents divorced when he was a baby, and Matty grew up largely with his mother and stepfather, Keith Morrison, in Ottawa. He was one of Canada’s top-ranked junior tennis players.

When he was 15, he moved in with his father in Los Angeles, hoping to devote more time to tennis and leave behind unhappiness he felt about his place in his mother’s second family.

After a couple of years in Los Angeles, Matthew decided that he had figured out what would make him happy.

“Fame would change everything, and I yearned for it more than any other person on the face of the planet,” he wrote in his memoir. “I needed it. It was the only thing that would fix me. I was certain of it.”

In 1988, still a teenager, he made his film debut, starring alongside River Phoenix in “A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon.” He appeared on several sitcoms. It was clear that he was an up-and-coming actor — but he remained that way for several years. One day, when he was 24, alone in his small Los Angeles apartment, he got on his knees and prayed to become famous, no matter what else would happen to him in the process.

Three weeks later, he was cast in “Friends.”

Early on, Courteney Cox, whose career to that point had outpaced her fellow cast members’, announced to the group, “There are no stars here,” Mr. Perry recalled in his memoir. “This is an ensemble show. We’re all supposed to be friends.”

Mr. Perry continued: “So we did what she suggested. From that first morning we were inseparable. We ate every meal together.”

During his years on “Friends,” Mr. Perry starred in a number of movies that flopped commercially, like “Almost Heroes” (1998), with Chris Farley, and “Three to Tango” (1999). He got good reviews for his supporting role as a likable, beleaguered dentist in “The Whole Nine Yards” (2000), starring Bruce Willis.

After “Friends,” Mr. Perry starred in a few more TV shows, like “Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip” (2006-07), written by Aaron Sorkin, and an adaptation of Neil Simon’s play “The Odd Couple” that ran on CBS from 2015 to 2017.

In his memoir Mr. Perry poignantly described struggles with self-esteem and commitment through several romantic relationships, including some with prominent actresses, like Julia Roberts. He never married or had children.

He had several half siblings from his parents’ remarriages. Information about his survivors was not immediately available.

Since “Friends” went off the air, its fan base has only grown. The show has even helped people around the world learn English.

Two years ago, Mr. Perry, by his own account newly sober, appeared in a televised reunion of the “Friends” cast, in which its stars revisited some of the show’s most famous sets like the Central Perk coffee shop to reminisce about old episodes.

That came after years in which Mr. Perry resisted talking about “Friends.” He wrote in his memoir that he admired Kurt Cobain’s refusal to play “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and Led Zeppelin’s aversion to “Stairway to Heaven.”

He did gain a new attitude toward publicly recalling his past thanks to writing, he told The Times last year. In a single interview, he spoke again and again about the idea that his confessional stories might help fellow addicts.

“Whenever I bumped into something that I didn’t really want to share,” he said, “I would think of the people that I would be helping, and it would keep me going.”