互联网“站队文化”盛行,不发言就是罪?

美音朗读:

英音朗读:

I Don’t Have to Post About My Outrage. Neither Do You.
By Elizabeth Spiers

I am neither Jewish nor Palestinian, and none of my six regular gigs have anything to do with foreign policy, but the other day I opened Twitter (now called X) after some time offline to find people I don’t know demanding that I make a public statement about what’s happening in the Middle East. It seemed that most of the people on social media had made a statement, including various corporate brands, celebrities and miscellaneous lifestyle influencers.

As I scrolled through my timeline, I saw lots of random citizens being told that if they didn’t speak out, they, too, would have blood on their hands.

There’s a facile version of taking a stand on social media that generates righteous back patting but reduces complex issues to a simple yes or no.

Knee-jerk social media posts are not what bother me most, though. Instead, it’s the idea that not posting is wrong somehow — that everyone needs to speak, all the time. It discourages shutting up and listening and letting the voices that matter the most be heard over the din. It implies it’s not OK to have any uncertainty about what’s going on or any kind of moral analysis that does not lend itself to presentation in a social media post. It does not leave time or space for people to process traumatic events in the sanctuary of their own minds or to gather more information before pronouncing a judgment. It pressures people who don’t have an opinion yet or are working out what they think to manufacture one and present it to a jury of total strangers on the internet who will render an instant verdict on its propriety.

“Nothing pays off like restraint of tongue and pen,” writes A.A.'s co-founder Bill Wilson. “We must avoid quick-tempered criticism and furious, power-driven arguments,” which he calls “emotional booby traps baited with pride and vengefulness.” While I’ve regretted posting half-formed thoughts too quickly, I’ve never regretted waiting until I was less angry or not posting at all.

互联网“站队文化”盛行,不发言就是罪?

近几年恐怕很多人都能感受到,网络氛围越来越易怒,人们动不动就“互撕”,我们似乎在逐渐丧失理性交流的能力。每当有热点事件发生,社交媒体就会变身投票大会。人们需要即刻发表自己的看法,迅速加入“支持”或“反对”的阵营,两方阵营会激烈争吵,同时不断发声来为自己的阵营抬高人气。这样“有毒”的社交网络文化到底有什么问题?我们又该如何应对?一起来听今天的讲解。

英文原文

我无需在网上发表我的愤慨。你也是。

By Elizabeth Spiers

I am neither Jewish nor Palestinian, and none of my six regular gigs have anything to do with foreign policy, but the other day I opened Twitter (now called X) after some time offline to find people I don’t know demanding that I make a public statement about what’s happening in the Middle East. It seemed that most of the people on social media had made a statement, including various corporate brands, celebrities and miscellaneous lifestyle influencers.

我不是犹太人,也不是巴勒斯坦人,我的六份固定差事,没有一份与外交政策有关。前一段时间我没上网,有一天我打开了Twitter(现在叫“X”了),发现有我不认识的人要求我就中东的事情发表公开声明。似乎社交媒体上的大多数人都已经发表了公开声明,包括各大企业品牌、各路名人和各类生活区网红。

As I scrolled through my timeline, I saw lots of random citizens being told that if they didn’t speak out, they, too, would have blood on their hands.

当我浏览我的时间轴时,我看到许多普通公民被告知,如果不大声疾呼,他们的手上也会沾满鲜血。

There’s a facile version of taking a stand on social media that generates righteous back patting but reduces complex issues to a simple yes or no.

在社交媒体上有一种轻率的站队方式,它会引来他人正义的赞许,但也会把复杂的问题简化为简单的“是”或“否”。

Knee-jerk social media posts are not what bother me most, though. Instead, it’s the idea that not posting is wrong somehow — that everyone needs to speak, all the time. It discourages shutting up and listening and letting the voices that matter the most be heard over the din. It implies it’s not OK to have any uncertainty about what’s going on or any kind of moral analysis that does not lend itself to presentation in a social media post. It does not leave time or space for people to process traumatic events in the sanctuary of their own minds or to gather more information before pronouncing a judgment. It pressures people who don’t have an opinion yet or are working out what they think to manufacture one and present it to a jury of total strangers on the internet who will render an instant verdict on its propriety.

不过,社交媒体上这些不经思考的帖子还不是最让我困扰的事情。最让我困扰的是那种认为不发帖就大错特错的想法——每个人都需要发言,随时随刻。它不鼓励你闭嘴倾听,让最重要的声音在喧嚣中被听到。它暗示着,如果对正在发生的事情有任何不确定性,或者对此事持有不适合在社交媒体上展示的道德分析,都是不可以的。它没有留出时间和空间,让人们在自己的精神避难所中处理创伤性事件,或者在做出判断之前收集更多信息。它迫使那些还没有意见的人,或正在努力理清自己想法的人,去制造一个意见,并将其提交给互联网上全部由陌生人组成的陪审团,他们将对其是否正当做出即刻裁决。

“Nothing pays off like restraint of tongue and pen,” writes A.A.'s co-founder Bill Wilson. “We must avoid quick-tempered criticism and furious, power-driven arguments,” which he calls “emotional booby traps baited with pride and vengefulness.” While I’ve regretted posting half-formed thoughts too quickly, I’ve never regretted waiting until I was less angry or not posting at all.

“没有什么比克制言语和笔墨得到的回报更多了。”匿名戒酒会的联合创始人比尔·威尔逊(Bill Wilson)写道。“我们必须避免一点就着的暴脾气批评和怒气冲冲、被权力驱使的争论。”他称之为“把傲慢和报复心作为诱饵的情绪陷阱”。我曾因太快发表只想好一半的观点而后悔,但我从未因为等到自己不那么生气的时候再发帖而后悔,也从不曾为不发一帖而后悔。

生词好句

1.post

英 [pəʊst] 美 [poʊst]

(本文)v. (在网上)发布、发表……;n. 网上的帖子、微博、朋友圈、短视频

拓展:

post about (在网上)发布、发表…

post an article 发文

post a selfie 发自拍

post a short video 发短视频

People like to post about their highlights in life.

人们都喜欢在朋友圈发自己的高光时刻。

2.outrage

英 [ˈaʊtreɪdʒ] 美 [ˈaʊtreɪdʒ]

n. 愤怒

拓展:

辨析:outrage vs. anger

区别:outrage的程度比anger更深;outrage代表的是anger和resentment,既包含怒气也带有愤恨。

3.gig

英 [ɡɪɡ] 美 [ɡɪɡ]

n. (除固定工作外兼职的)短期项目

拓展:

gig economy,零工经济,即大家不再满足于自己的正式工作,会额外接一些兼职来增加收入。

4.… to find something

……之后,得到一个出乎意料的结果(only to find)

拓展:

I came home after many years abroad only to find that this is no longer the place I missed.

旅居国外多年后我回到家,却发现这已不再是那个我心心念念的地方。

5.make a statement

发表声明,表态

拓展:

make a statement about something 就…申明态度和立场

6.miscellaneous

英 [ˌmɪslˈeɪniəs] 美 [ˌmɪslˈeɪniəs]

adj. 各式各样的,各不相同的

7.influencer

英 [ˈɪnfluənsə] 美 [ˈɪnfluənsər]

n. 有影响力的人,网红

拓展:

influence n. 影响力

social media influencer 网红

8.scroll

英 [skrəʊl] 美 [skroʊl]

v. 滚动;(本文)刷(手机)

9.speak out

说出……

10.facile

英 [ˈfæsaɪl] 美 [ˈfæsl]

adj. 轻率的,浅薄的

11.take a stand

选择立场

12.righteous

英 [ˈraɪtʃəs] 美 [ˈraɪtʃəs]

adj. 正义的,出于正义感的

13.back patting

赞许

14.reduce

英 [rɪˈdʒuːs] 美 [rɪˈduːs]

v. 减少;(本文)降格,矮化

拓展:

The original protagonist of the novel was reduced to a supporting role in the adapted film.

原著小说里的主人公,在拍成电影后被矮化成了一个配角。

15.knee-jerk

英 [ˈniː dʒɜːk] 美 [ˈniː dʒɜːrk]

adj. 条件反射似的,本能的,不经思考的

拓展:

knee jerk 膝跳反应

16.discourage

英 [dɪˈskʌrɪdʒ] 美 [dɪˈskərːɪdʒ]

v. 阻碍

拓展:

courage v. 鼓励,激发

17.din

英 [dɪn] 美 [dɪn]

n. 噪音,喧嚣

18.lend itself to

有利、适用于某种目的(be good or suitable for something (usually a purpose))

19.process

英 [ˈprəʊses] 美 [ˈprɑːses]

v. 处理

20.traumatic event

创伤性事件(会让你产生长期心理后遗症的事件)

21.sanctuary

英 [ˈsæŋktʃʊəri] 美 [ˈsæŋktʃueri]

n. 避难所

22.verdict on its propriety

对其正当性的裁决

23.Alcoholics Anonymous

匿名戒酒会,美国嗜酒者互戒协会(A.A.: Alcoholics Anonymous的缩写)

24.quick-tempered

英 [ˌkwɪkˈtempəd] 美 [ˌkwɪkˈtempərd]

adj. 脾气火爆的

25.power-driven

英 [ˈpaʊə ˈdrɪvn] 美 [ˈpaʊər ˈdrɪvn]

adj. 权力驱使的

外刊原文

By Elizabeth Spiers

@The New York Times

Oct. 17, 2023

I am neither Jewish nor Palestinian, and none of my six regular gigs have anything to do with foreign policy, but the other day I opened Twitter (now called X) after some time offline to find people I don’t know demanding that I make a public statement about what’s happening in the Middle East. It seemed that most of the people on social media had made a statement, including various corporate brands, celebrities and miscellaneous lifestyle influencers. American Eagle’s chief marketing officer posted to LinkedIn that the company had changed its Times Square billboard to an image of the Israeli flag. “Praying for Israel,” Justin Bieber posted on Instagram, over an image (later deleted) of what was actually Gaza.

But not everyone was taking a side. As I scrolled through my timeline, I saw lots of random citizens being told that if they didn’t speak out, they, too, would have blood on their hands.

People speaking from both the right and the left seemed to attribute my silence to depraved indifference to human suffering, though they were divided on which humans were suffering. As it happens, I had been dealing with shingles (zero stars, do not recommend) and the depression I struggle with periodically. I was tired and overwhelmed, as are a great many other people. But the voices yelling at me and anyone else who failed to post seemed to believe that not making a statement was itself a statement — and an immoral one, at that.

There’s a facile version of taking a stand on social media that generates righteous back patting but reduces complex issues to a simple yes or no. Taking simplistic stands can also lead to twisting words. Concern for Palestinians is portrayed as support for Hamas or hatred toward Israel or Jews in general. Anger about Hamas’s deadly attacks on Israeli citizens — or any mention of antisemitism — is portrayed as denigrating the dignity of all Palestinian lives. This kind of thinking is deeply unserious and further fuels hostilities, warping nuanced positions into extremism and mistaking tweet-length expressions of outrage for brave action in the face of atrocity.

When institutions offered statements that expressed sorrow for the loss of both Israeli and Palestinian lives, some constituents and customers demanded a revision that explicitly condemned their preferred villain. If these institutional voices stayed silent, it was considered newsworthy. “Six days after Hamas’s horrific terror attacks on Israel,” a reporter at Women’s Wear Daily wrote last Thursday, “many major players in the beauty — and overall fashion — industry have remained largely silent in support of the victims on both sides of the conflict.” Did we really need or want to hear from L’Oréal or LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton?

The impulse toward loud, reductive declarations reflects genuine fear about horrors that lie beyond words. Simple binaries imply simple solutions. And it’s much more pleasant to tell yourself you stand on the side of good, against evil, than to question whether the lines of demarcation were drawn correctly.

Sitting with uncertainty is hard, especially when social media has primed us to expect perfect real-time information during traumatic events and to want instantaneous answers and resolution. Moral certainty is an anchor we cling to when factual certainty is not possible. And the faster we express it, the more certain we appear. The most righteous among us post — and do it immediately.

I do have opinions, of course, but they don’t fit in a tweet (and would be extremely awkward on TikTok). I think Hamas is a terrorist group and Israel has a right to defend itself. I lived in Manhattan on Sept. 11, and even so, I can’t imagine the grief and terror Jewish people feel right now in the face of continued attacks and rising antisemitism globally. I also think that the Israeli state should not be allowed to conflate Hamas with Gaza or to cut off electricity and access to food and medical supplies to civilians who are trapped in Gaza or to justify those acts by claiming that Palestinians who live there — about half of whom are children — can just leave when they plainly can’t. If the destruction of Gaza is not the goal, it is a very real possibility, and that should be equally unacceptable.

Are these opinions helpful? Useful? Interesting? And if so, to whom?

I’m not a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, but a passage in the book “Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions” seems applicable here. “Nothing pays off like restraint of tongue and pen,” writes A.A.'s co-founder Bill Wilson. “We must avoid quick-tempered criticism and furious, power-driven arguments,” which he calls “emotional booby traps baited with pride and vengefulness.” I’ll admit I have posted on social media from a place of pride and vengeance, and as a writer, I’m perhaps less conditioned to practice restraint of pen and avoidance of arguments. But thoughtful criticism is my goal, and while I’ve regretted posting half-formed thoughts too quickly, I’ve never regretted waiting until I was less angry or not posting at all.

In an environment where people are led to believe they should post or blurt out simplistic opinions, they will, for fear that others will think they’re not informed enough, they don’t care enough or their moral compass has been demagnetized. But a reactionary social media post tells you nothing about what they really think or know, cheapens the discourse and impedes progress. It’s sloganeering masquerading as moral clarity.