compel

词性:v.
音标:[kəmˈpel]
释义:强迫,迫使,使发生,引起[某种感情或态度]

Compel means to force or drive someone to do something. Even if you don’t like toast, when you visit the toast-eating natives of Shrintakook Island, you’ll be compelled to eat it, or they will not trust you.

You don’t want to be compelled to go to a classical music concert if you’d rather listen to rap. School officials might be upset if a winter storm compels them to cancel classes, but you’d be okay with that. A compelling mystery forces you to pay attention because you want to find out “whodunit.”

compelling
词性:adj.
音标: [kəmˈpelɪŋ]
释义:令人信服的(~ reason/argument/case),令人激动的,极为有趣的,引人入胜的,(做某事的)强烈需求/愿望/冲动(~ need/desire/urge to do sth.)

Compelling means attractive, or irresistible, or really, really convincing. You know your argument for backpacking across Europe is compelling when your parents not only let you go but also pay for all your expenses.

To compel is to drive or force into action –– the way the fear of being grounded might compel you to come home before your curfew. A compelling argument compels you to agree with its logic –– it’s irresistible. If you decide to run for class president, you’ll need to write a compelling speech about why students should vote for you.

someone feel compelled to do something. 某人觉得应该干什么

I’m not here to compel you to do anything.

Sounds compelling.

The evidence is compelling.

You make a very compelling argument.

I compel you to tell me the truth